Coach Clarence, who is a fitness & nutrition expert with over 32 years of experience, answers these four very important questions on how to improve your health.
#1 Why is it important to continue exercising after age 40?
- Working out improves your mood
- Exercising even one day a week or 10 minutes a day, according to studies, makes you more cheerful, upbeat & improves your self-esteem
- Exercise goes beyond the physical & can lead to better mental health
#2 Why is a good night’s sleep so important?
- Studies show most people need 7-8 hours of sleep a night for mental & physical recovery
- A nap during the day, even if it’s only 20 minutes, is beneficial
- What happens when you don’t get enough good sleep
* You’re more hungry
* Leads to more diabetes & heart conditions
* Productivity decreases
* Can lead to poor decisions, missed opportunities & loss of income
* Create a routine of going to bed & waking up at the same time every day
* Invest in a good mattress
* Buy the best pillow for you
* Sleep in a quiet, dark, cool room without your TV & cell phone
* Take a hot bath or shower before bedtime
* Limit your intake of caffeine
#3 Is cardio a waste of time?
- Anaerobic vs aerobic exercise
- Cardio decreases body fat but can be time-consuming
- Should you do cardio before or after your workout & how it affects your performance
- Strength training & HIIT (high-intensity interval training) burns more calories than cardio
- Very important to consult with Coach Clarence on the right options for you
#4 How can I improve my gut health?
- Change your diet. Get rid of trans fats, sugar & processed foods
- Consume more chicken, fish & whole grains
- High fiber or plant-based diet may work best for you
- Drink 8 glasses of water a day
- Chew slowly, don’t rush through a meal
- Quality sleep
- Eat more fermented foods including low sugar yogurt
- Eat dark chocolate (not to excess)
- Add more polyphenols to your diet such as green tea, blueberries, broccoli & almonds